by Rev. Edward Holloway II, Senior Pastor
Way of the Word Ministries, Inc
Capitol Heights, MD
What is Fasting?
Fasting is a natural discipline that can bring supernatural results. It is abstaining from something like food, drink, entertainment, or a combination of the three, for a period to generate a specified result; subsequently benefitting one’s body, mind, spirit, and even situation. Fasting is something that is referenced over 70 times in the bible. Even Christ himself fasted during His wilderness experience where he was “tried” by the enemy. Although this seems to be a practice that is not exercised as frequently in this day, it has numerous infallible proofs of its effectiveness when coupled with a believer’s faith, and prayer; a necessity that should be practiced by every believer.
There are several types of fasts which include:
- Standard Fast (water only)
- Absolute Fast (No water or food)
- Partial Fast (restricting certain food and drink items)
- Intermittent Fast (Only eat during a small window daily i.e. 1pm-6pm)
We will be beginning a Partial Fast during our Consecration which will be explained below.
When fasting, you should do the following:
- Give your fast an assignment: Meaning that we should concentrate, meditate, and most importantly pray about what you God to do for you. This could include jobs, healing, deliverance, or something that you would like God to do for someone else. Make sure that you are seeking something that not only has natural but spiritual benefits.
- Set Aside time for God: Make sure that you are not abstaining from food, while neglecting to talk to God. It is the act of fasting that we couple with prayer and Faith that breaks strongholds, and causes our desired results to begin to manifest. Make a conscious effort to increase the time that you spend talking to God (praying) and Reading God’s Word. But remember communication is a two-way street, so make sure that you are giving God space to talk to you, and not just you “making demands” to God.
- Guard your gates: Be mindful of the things that you entertain. There are three “gates” to your spirit, which are your ears, eyes, and mouth!
- 1) Your ears are the things that you hear that have a direct correlation with your thoughts. This can be ungodly conversations, music, and even what you hear on the television.
- 2) Your eyes can determine your perception, and guide your thoughts. Constantly looking at negative or inappropriate programs, even social media steal our attention because of how much we feed our minds through LOOKING at our timelines etc.
- 3) What you say out of your mouth determines your direction. After all the Word of God tells us that we have what we say. Make sure that the things that you are speaking are positive, Godly, and confirm Gods word and what you are looking for him to do. This does not mean that you cannot have conversations with co-workers, family, and friends, it simply means be cautious about the things that you are talking about, and allowing others to talk to you about.
The Daniel Fast
“The Daniel Fast is a biblically based partial fast that is referenced in the Book of Daniel”:
- Daniel 1:12 which says, “Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse [vegetable] to eat, and water to drink.”
- Daniel 10:2-3 which states, “In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were filled.”
During this fast Daniel neither ate meats nor natural sweeteners. He and the Hebrew boys only ate vegetables (pulse), fruits, and drank water. Thus, Daniel and the Hebrew boy’s appearance was better than the other young men that were taken with them.
Like Daniel we will be abstaining from meats, and natural sweeteners. We will only eat fruits and vegetables.
- Pray at 6am, 12 noon, and 6pm. Reading God’s Word throughout the Day. Additional prayer times are acceptable. At 6pm (EST) will have a conference call of prayer. Dial: 1-319-527-9108 Code:487544.
- Restrict Social Media to no more than 30 minutes per day, unless work related. Remember to GUARD YOUR GATES, being mindful of what you are viewing. Replace the extra time you were spending on social media with time that you spend with God either reading, meditating, or praying. Make sure that it is replaced with something SPIRITUAL.
- Health Alternative: For those who may not be able to participate for health reasons, please keep the prayer times, and follow the social media restrictions. Abstain from pork and beef, and all fried foods. Only eat chicken or fish and make sure that it is baked.
Foods that you should eat during the fast:
- All fruits. These can be fresh or frozen, but NOT CANNED.
- All vegetables. These can be fresh or frozen, but NOT CANNED.
- Whole grains. This includes brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes, oats, barley, whole wheat. No other breads.
- All nuts and seeds. These should be roasted or raw and UNSALTED. Peanut butter is okay if it is all natural and does not contain additives and sweeteners.
- All legumes. These can be dried or canned.
- Quality oil such as olive oil, and canola oil. Vinegar is okay.
- Beverages: Spring, distilled, or pure water. Coconut and Almond milk, and fresh pressed vegetable juice.
Foods that are restricted during the fast:
- All meat and animal products unless you are unable to participate during the fast for health reason. If so, only fish or chicken.
- All dairy products. This includes eggs, milk, cheese, cream, and butter.
- All sweeteners including sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, and cane juice.
- All leavened bread including Ezekiel bread and baked goods.
- All deep-fried foods including potato chips, and French fries.
- All refined and processed food products such as artificial flavors, food additives, preservatives, chemicals, white rice, and white flour.
- All solid fats such as shortening, margarine, lard, and foods high in fat.
- Beverages such as coffee, tea, herbal teas, carbonated drinks, energy drinks and alcohol.
We welcome all prayer requests and will be praying for you throughout the fast.
Click here to complete a prayer request: https://goo.gl/forms/pWPz2ESAX8WK1yix2
We realize that there will be some sacrifices, and even some dietary changes, but we truly believe that God will show up while we are participating in this fast. What minor thing to alter what we put into our temple compared to the breakthroughs and blessings that God will show us by the conclusion of this fast.
If there are any prayer requests, please write them down so that we can place them at the alter and pray over them while we are fasting. We will also attempt to send out scriptures to be read during the fast.
The fast will commence at 6am on January 2nd, 2017 and will end on January 11th, 2017 at 6pm. Even if you are not looking for God to do something for you, pray and stand proxy for you brother or sister in Christ. We all need prayer! Remember that God Loves You and so do I!